The Question

Can I file on my husbands SS benefits if his is larger than mine? He has made a lot more than me in his working lifetime. I will be 65 in May and he will be 70 and has already started drawing his. We are both still working fulltime. My FRA is 66 and 8 months.

While you can certainly can claim on your Husband’s earning record, there a few things to bear in mind.

While you are working, you can receive Social Security benefits, however your benefits can be reduced if you earn more than $21,240.

Here’s how it works: For every $2 over the limit, your benefit will be reduced by $1. The year you reach full retirement age, you’ll have an earnings limit of $56,520, and for every $3 over the limit, your benefits will be reduced by $1.

It’s also important to keep in mind that Social Security benefits CAN be taxable, based on your “provisional income calculation” – you’ll add ½ of your Social Security (you + spouse) + any other income.

If less than $32,000, your Social Security won’t be included in your taxable income, from $32,000-$44,000 up to 50% is included in your taxable income, and above $44,000, up to 85% is included in your taxable income at ordinary income rates (like your regular w2 earnings).

Ian Weiner, CFP®

Owner, Lead Planner at Bespoke Wealth Solutions

Bentonville, AR


Ian Weiner, CFP®

Ian Weiner Answered question April 13, 2023

No question, answer, or discussion of any kind facilitated on this site is confidential or constitutes financial or legal advice. Questions answered are selected based on general consumer interest, and not all are addressed. Questions and answers may be displayed online and archived by Wealthtender. To make Wealthtender free for readers, we earn money from advertisers, including financial professionals and firms that pay to be featured. This creates a conflict of interest when we favor their promotion over others. Wealthtender is not a client of these financial services providers. Learn more.